Henry C. Boyd III Directory Page
Henry C. Boyd III
PhD, Duke University
Joined University of Maryland in 2005.
Henry C. Boyd is a Clinical Professor in the Marketing Department at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. He is also a managing director and principal at Ombudsman LLC, a diversified consultancy. He is licensed to practice law in Maryland, Wisconsin, and the U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin.
Boyd received his Ph.D. in Marketing from Duke University (with an emphasis in Consumer Behavior) and his J.D. in Intellectual Property from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. At the age of 24, he received his MBA in Marketing from the University of California at Berkeley. Prior to graduate study, he obtained his A.B. in Chemistry (with an emphasis in Biophysics) from Princeton University.
Boyd’s areas of expertise include biotechnology, consumer behavior, business consulting, pharmaceutical sales, advertising, and market research. His research has been published in Marketing Letters, Psychology & Marketing, and Journal of Advertising Research. He has served as an ad hoc reviewer for the Journal of Marketing Research. He has critiqued pedagogical approaches found in marketing textbooks for such leading publishing houses as CENGAGE, Prentice Hall, and Thomson South-Western.
Boyd’s opinions have appeared in USA TODAY, The Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Washington Business Journal, Wisconsin State Journal, Sports Illustrated, OZY, ESPN's The Undefeated, Crain's Chicago Business, Morning Consult and CNBC. He has participated in live interviews on Maryland Public Television, NBC News (local affiliate WMTV Channel 15 News), CBS News (local affiliate WISC-TV Channel 3 News), WTOP, WMAL, WIBA and Knowledge@Wharton.
During the course of his academic career, Boyd has taught over 17,500 students the intricacies of marketing theory and practice. Outside of academe, he has worked as a summer associate at Heller Ehrman, a pharmaceutical rep at Merck, and an economic forecaster at IBM. He has consulted with several executive clients including the NFL, ExxonMobil, SAIC, Verizon, Stanley Black & Decker, and Ocean Tomo. At times, he has been called upon as an expert witness in legal proceedings. He has served on the faculty of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Boyd resides in Fulton, MD with his wife, Isabel, and his daughter, Giselle.
Honors & Awards
- Most Valuable Professor Award, Maryland Women's Lacrosse Team, 2022
- Lecturer, Robert H. Smith School of Business - UEM, Maputo, 2018
- Banneker/Key Scholarship Selection Committee, University of Maryland, 2018
- Leadership Fellow, ADVANCE Program, University of Maryland, 2016-2017
- Academic Director, "NFL Consumer Products Boot Camp" - Houston, 2015
- Academic Director, “NFL Consumer Products Boot Camp” – Baltimore, 2014
- Lecturer, Marketing Essentials – ExxonMobil, Asia Pacific, Thailand, 2012
- Lecturer, Sports Marketing and the World Cup – Cape Town, Johannesburg, 2010
- Allen J. Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence, Robert H. Smith School of Business, 2009
- Lecturer, Robert H. Smith School of Business – Cape Town, Johannesburg, 2008
- CIBER Rep, Robert H. Smith School of Business – Johannesburg, Nairobi, 2007
- Lecturer, Robert H. Smith School of Business – UIBE, Beijing, 2006
- Mabel W. Chipman Excellence in Teaching Award, UW-Madison 2001
- Professor of the Year, Mu Kappa Tau, UW-Madison, 1999
- Lecturer, Ecole de Management de Normandie, Le Havre, France, 1998
- Dr. Brenda Pfaehler Award of Excellence, UW-Madison, 1998
- Visiting Professorship, Grey Advertising, New York, 1997
- Teacher of the Year, North Carolina Central University, 1995
- Stanley Black & Decker
- Ocean Tomo
UMD Marketing Expert Sees Mistakes in Commercializing of Juneteenth
The Maryland Smith chapter of the American Marketing Association drew several accolades at the 2021 International Collegiate Conference…
SMITH BRAIN TRUST – The University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business proudly presents its 16th annual Summer Reading List…