Zhi-Long Chen Directory Page
Orkand Corporation Professor of Management Science
Ph.D., Princeton University
Dr. Chen received his PhD degree in Operations Research from Princeton University in 1997. He is currently Orkand Corporation Professor of Management Science at the Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Prior to joining the Smith School in 2001, Dr. Chen worked as an assistant professor of systems engineering at University of Pennsylvania for four years. His research interests cover supply chain scheduling, production and transportation operations, dynamic pricing, and optimization. Dr. Chen has conducted several NSF funded research projects on integrated production and distribution operations, coordination of dynamic pricing and scheduling, and transportation capacity planning. He is working closely with industry on several projects in the areas of dynamic pricing, ridesharing, and production and distribution operations. He is currently serving as an associate editor of Operations Research, POM, IIE Transactions, NRL, Networks, and Journal of Scheduling. Dr. Chen has taught a number of undergraduate, graduate, and executive courses on optimization, supply chain management, and operations management. He has received several teaching awards from the Smith School for his excellent teaching performance.
- Applications: (1) Supply chain scheduling (production & distribution scheduling integration, coordination between different parties of a supply chain); (2) Logistics operations management (Routing/scheduling of logistics operations, transportation systems capacity assessment); (3) Dynamic pricing (markdown pricing, robust pricing); (4) Capacity & technology planning/Equipment replacement.
- Methodologies: (1) Combinatorial optimization (complexity analysis, dynamic/integer programming); (2) Large-scale optimization (column generation, Benders decomposition); (3) Optimization under uncertainty (stochastic programming with recourse); (4) Heuristic analysis.
Current Research Projects
- "Dynamic pricing with farelock options". On pricing problems where customers have a choice of buying a "price insurance" when making a purchase (e.g. farelock options when booking an air ticket). Jointly with Ming Chen of California State University.
- "Robust dynamic pricing". Studies dynamic pricing problems with limited demand information. Jointly with Ming Chen, Nick Hall (Ohio State Univ), Hans Kellerer (Univ of Graz, Austria).
- "Integrated production and two-stage distribution scheduling". Motivated by practical problems from Baosteel. Jointly with Lixin Tang and Feng Li at Northeastern University, China.
- "Coil batching to improve productivity and energy utilization in steel production", A practical problem from steel industry. Jointly with Lixin Tang and Ying Meng at Northeastern University, China, and Jiyin Liu (Loughborough Univ, UK).
- "Integrated pricing and production scheduling decisions in a make-to-order environment", jointly with Qing Yue and Guohua Wan of Shanghai Jiaotong University.
Past Research Projects
- "Integrated charge batching and cast width selection in the continuous casting operations of steel production", Jointly with Lixin Tang and Gongshu Wang.
- Jointly with Manugistics, Inc., "Markdown Pricing at Multiple Retail Stores". Investigates joint inventory allocation and markdown pricing at many stores.
- Funded by NSF, PI: Zhi-Long Chen, DMI-0421637, "Collaborative Research: Supply Chain Scheduling". Investigates coordination issues in the scheduling level in a supply chain. Jointly with Nicholas Hall of Ohio State University.
BUDT-758R, "Operations and Supply Chain Strategies", MBA elective, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
EMBA-694, "Operations Management", SAIC-3 & EMBA-9, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
BUSI-634, "Operations Management", MBA Core, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
BUSI788C / 798C, "Doing Business in China", short-term study abroad course for MBA students, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
BMGT-833, "Integer Programming", PhD Level, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
EMBA-793, "Operations Management", Smith School EMBA Program, Beijing & Shanghai, China.
BULM-732, "Supply Chain and Logistics Management", Smith School EMBA Program, Beijing, China.
BUDT-724, "Operations Management", Smith School of Business, University of Maryland. Part-time MBA elective.
BMGT-671, BUSI-671, "Supply Chain Logistics and Operations Management", Smith School of Business, University of Maryland. Full-time & Part-time MBA Core.
BMGT-434: "Introduction to Optimization Theory", Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
SYS-304, "Optimization of Systems", Undergraduate Junior-Senior Level, University of Pennsylvania.
SYS-650, "Advanced Logistics", Graduate Level, University of Pennsylvania.
SYS-680, "Special Topics: Scheduling & Logistics", Graduate Level, University of Pennsylvania.
For a complete list of publications and citations, see Zhi-Long Chen's Google Scholar page.
Below are the papers published in the last 10 years or so:
Dynamic Pricing (Pricing-production decisions, markdown pricing)
- Z.-L. Chen, N.G. Hall, H. Kellerer, Dynamic pricing to minimize maximum regret. Production and Operations Management. Forthcoming.
- M. Chen, Z.-L. Chen, Recent developments in dynamic pricing research. Production and Operations Management. 24 (2015), Issue 5, 704-731.
- M. Chen, Z.-L. Chen, G. Pundoor, S. Acharya, and J. Yi, Integrated inventory allocation and markdown pricing at multiple stores. IIE Transactions. 47 (2015), 84-108.
- Z.-L. Chen and N.G. Hall, The coordination of pricing and scheduling decisions. Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 12 (2010), 77-92.
Production and Batching Decisions in Steel Industry
- L. Tang, Y. Meng, Z.-L. Chen and J. Liu, Coil batching in the batch annealing operations of steel production. Forthcoming, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 18(2) (2016), 262-279.
- L. Tang, G. Wang and Z.-L. Chen, Integrated charge batching and casting width selection at Baosteel. Operations Research, 62 (2014), 772-787.
- L. Tang, Y. Meng, G. Wang, Z.-L. Chen, J. Liu, G. Hu, L. Chen, B. Zhang, Operations Research transforms Baosteel’s operations. Interfaces, 44 (2014), 22-38.
Supply Chain Operations (Supply chain scheduling, Integrated production-distribution operations, etc.)
- F. Li, Z.-L. Chen and L. Tang, Integrated production, inventory and delivery problems: Complexity and algorithms. INFORMS Journal on Computing, Forthcoming.
- J. Leung and Z.-L. Chen, Production-distribution scheduling with fixed vehicle departure dates. Operations Research Letters, 41 (2013), 290 - 293.
- W. Zhong, Z.-L. Chen and M. Chen, Integrated production and distribution scheduling with committed delivery dates. Operations Research Letters. 33 (2010), 133 - 138.
- Z.-L. Chen, Integrated production and outbound distribution scheduling: Review and extensions. Operations Research, 58 (2010), 130 - 148.
- Z.-L. Chen and G. Pundoor, Integrated order scheduling with packing. Production and Operations Management. 18 (2009), 672 - 692.
- Z.-L. Chen and N.G. Hall, Supply chain scheduling: Conflict and cooperation in assembly systems. Operations Research, 55 (2007), 1072 - 1089.
- Z.-L. Chen and G. Pundoor, Order assignment and scheduling in a supply chain. Operations Research, 54 (2006), 555 - 572.
- G. Pundoor and Z.-L. Chen, Scheduling a production-distribution system to optimize the tradeoff between tardiness and total distribution cost. Naval Research Logistics, 52 (2005), 571 - 589.
- Z.-L. Chen and G.L. Vairaktarakis, Integrated scheduling of production and distribution operations. Management Science, 51 (2005), 614 - 628.
Transportation & Logistics (Practical & real-time vehicle routing, Container vessel scheduling, etc.)
- Z.-L. Chen, L. Lei, and H. Zhong, Container vessel scheduling with bi-directional flows. Operations Research Letters, 35 (2007), 186 - 194.
- C.-L. Li and Z.-L. Chen, Binpacking problem with concave costs of bin utilization. Naval Research Logistics, 53 (2006), 298-308.
- Z.-L. Chen and H. Xu, Dynamic column generation for dynamic vehicle routing. Transportation Science, 40 (2006), 74 - 88.
Operations Scheduling (Production & service operations scheduling)
- S. Li, Z.-L. Chen, and G. Tang, Optimality proof of the Kise-Ibaraki-Mine algorithm. Journal of Scheduling, 15 (2012), 289 – 294.
- S. Li, Z.-L. Chen, and G. Tang, A note on the optimality proof of the Kise-Ibaraki-Mine algorithm. Operations Research. 58 (2010), 508-509.
- Z.-L. Chen, and N.G. Hall, Maximum profit scheduling. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 10 (2008), 84-107.
- Z.-L. Chen, and C.-L. Li, Scheduling with subcontracting options. IIE Transactions. 40 (2008), 1171-1184.
- Institute For Operations Research and Management ScienceINFORMS Homepage.
- Institute of Industrial Engieers IIE Homepage.
- Production and Operations Management Society POMS
- International Council of Systems Engineering INCOSE
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers SME
Special Topics Sites
- Michael Trick's Operations Research Page
- OR-Library. A Collection of test data for a variety of problem areas
- Complexity Results of Scheduling Problems by P. Brucker & S. Knust
- Scheduling Benchmarks
- Stochastic Scheduling Page. A collection of literature.
- Links to Vehicle Routing
- Vehicle Routing References
- Local Serach & Metaheuristics
- Operations Management Info Access Page
- Global Optimization Homepage.
- IIASA Homepage.
- Operations Research
- Naval Research Logistics
- IIE Transactions
- Operations Research Letters
- Journal of Scheduling
- Discrete Applied Mathematics
- Annals of Operations Research
- Production and Operations Management
- European Journal of Operational Research
- Journal of the Operational Research Society
- Computers and Operations Research
- Transportation Science
- Manufacturing & Service Operations Management
- Journal of Operations Management
- International Journal of Operations & Production Management
- Journal of Manufacturing Systems
- Mathematical Programming
- INFORMS Publications (Including INFORMS Journal on Computing, Management Science, Mathematics of Operations Research, and others)
- Operations Research
- Computing Theory
- Numerical Analysis
- Constraints Based Computation
- Neural Networks
A study of the world’s top researchers identifies 18 from the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business in the top 2%…
New Article Explores How AI, Machine Learning Will Change Things
Researchers’ Book Sheds Light on How Firms can use Mathematical Models for Supply Chain Scheduling to Improve Performance and Minimize Costs